Sunday, June 7, 2009

48 Hour Marathon FINAL WRAP UP

Wow. This was a lot more difficult to focus on than I thought it would be. I really have been so worn out from the end of school and moving, that I got here to my mother's place and collapsed. Not only was I tired, but I also hadn't seen my mother since Thanksgiving, so it's hard to just rush off to ignore her! Having said that, thanks to MotherReader for hosting this fun challenge! Here are my stats:

Hours: 48
Reading Time: 15
Books Read: 3
Pages Read: 659 (from those I've finished--over 1,000 total)
Blog Post/Reviews: 6 posts (including this one) & 1 review (with two to come)
Blogging/Twittering: 7
Working Online Job: 6
Other Challenges Met: 2 (1 for 1% Well Read, and 1 for ebook Reader Challenge)

I'm proud of myself for finishing a really hard book, The Inheritance of Loss, by Kiran Desai. It took me back to those grad school days, especially the week my seminar-level course was asked to finish Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children. I still remember reading around the clock, days on end, and only getting through about 30 pages an hour because the material was so dense. The novel was SO thick, that most of us put in marathon hours to get it read by that next week, some students reporting drinking binges and falling asleep under tables to get it finished! (No, I didn't go that far, but I did spend some major sleepless nights.) Desai's novel was very similar; the material was so postmodern and dense, that it took about an hour for 40 to 50 pages. I finished it though, and am so proud of myself!!!

Here's what I read during the marathon:
Suze Orman's 2009 Action Plan


The Tales of Beedle the Bard, by J.K. Rowling
The Inheritance of Loss, by Kiran Desai

I also read about 6 chapters of Club Dead, by Charlaine Harris, and 9 chapters into Bones of Faerie, by Janni Lee Simner. Overall, not too bad. Next time, I'll choose smaller books maybe? In this case, I don't think that number of pages, nor number of books that I've read really show much, but considering what I got through, I'm okay with it.

5 comments:

  1. Great reading! I'm impressed that you choose such a hard book too! I tend to mix it up, but not put in anything too heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on finishing the readathon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's hard when real life intrudes on one's reading! You did a great job, even if you hadn't been so busy. I am guilty of choosing a lot of smaller books, and ones that I generally like, so that made it a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, I hope to see you participating again next year! Tales of Beedle the Bard is nice, but not Harry Potter. ):

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job, I hope to see you participating again next year! Tales of Beedle the Bard is nice, but not Harry Potter. ):

    ReplyDelete