Saturday, October 30, 2010

Library Loot: Getting Back to Normal


First off, Happy Halloween to everyone! Where I live we generally don't get families with little kids roaming around trick or treating, but instead get teenagers who aren't dressed up, toting pillowcases around asking for candy.  I'm sure that since I work with teens all week, that I'm probably not their best stop along the way!  Halloween is one of those holidays that spells out the first of a string of fun holidays to come, so I'm happy, happy, happy.

As far as reading is concerned, I actually have read quite a bit, but need to find the time and energy to get reviews written!  Since returning to work, I've just been able to get through the day teaching and not much else.  Hopefully this weekend will help put me back on the right track, and my newest acquisitions from the library and in the mail will definitely help me get back into the spirit of blogging!  (P.S.  Thank you to everyone who left kind words this last week.  Your little messages were so sweet!)

Here are two new books that came in the mail this week, that definitely brightened my mood and got me eager to read for the holidays:




The first is a compilation of Pride and Prejudice remakes or tributes that are centered on Christmas.  I'm excited to read an Austen twist on the holidays!  Also, I am eager to read Dating Mr. December after I read the blurb.  When I noticed its about a girl who heads to the Lake District to heal a broken heart, I thought it had a very P&P meets Bridget Jones sort of vibe that should be kind of fun.

As for the library, here's what I picked up last night:


Bright Young Things is a new series by Anna Godbersen, who wrote The Luxe series, that I enjoyed so much.  I've been on the waiting list for this one for months!


Simply From Scratch just looks like a great book that will get me into the holiday baking and staying inside bit of this time of year that I love so much.


Finally, is Breadfruit, which is the follow-up novel to Frangipani that I read earlier this summer (and really loved).  My library actually had the first and the last in the trilogy, but not this particular book, so I requested that they get it.  How much do I love my library that they actually did?!?  Now I can keep reading this fun Tahitian-set story.

Before I forget, I wanted to share my library books for Library Loot, which is a meme hosted by Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader and Claire from The Captive Reader.  Join us, and share what you've picked up for one of our many great libraries!

Well that's what I've picked up this week.  I'm reading so many different things right now that it does me no good to even begin with that list, but am pretty excited about the new stacks of books waiting for me to read! 

What about you?  What great new book did you get this week that you're dying to dive into?

10 comments:

  1. Hi, I am new to your lovely blog. I'd love to read A Darcy Christmas and Breadfruit. Enjoy all your new books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed Breadfruit in your Library stack, which is book #3 in this series. (I have that one TBR)

    I really enjoyed Frangipani and Tiare in Bloom, the first two books. Have you read them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh -- A Darcy Christmas looks divine. I look forward to reading your review :)

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of those books sound awesome to read! Especially the holiday books I love Christmas books!
    I am currently just dying to read Secret Santa by Sabrina James but I told myself to wait until November for Christmas books.

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suko--Thanks Suko, and welcome! I hope you'll drop by and chat often. :)

    Bibliophile--From the back, Breadfruit is the 2nd in the series? I've read the first, and have been waiting for my library to get Breadfruit. I devoured the first in a matter of hours, so this has been much anticipated!

    Molly--I know, doesn't it? I'm looking forward to all of my Sourcebook offerings. I really like the Darcy retellings. Just me, but they are a great escape!

    Warrior Cat--I love holiday books too! I'm always looking for books to match the holiday, and love when I'm surprised by a good one. Hopefully these will be great! I haven't heard of Secret Santa, but now I'll have to go look it up. Thanks for the head's up on another good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved SIMPLY FROM SCRATCH. It's one of those predictable, but warm-hearted reads that just make you happy. I hope you love it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got Jane with a gift card. I'm poking my way through it--page 25, woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Becky...'m such a ditz, I actually read Breadfruit, it is Tiare in Bloom that I have on my shelf waiting to be read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buckeye--I know. Now if I can just get to it so I can read all of them!

    Susan--I haven't started the book yet, but it does look a bit predictable. In some ways, as long as it's a nice escape, I'll really enjoy it. :)

    Heidenkind--Jane is coming up soon for me!

    Diane--Oh, good! You scared me for a second. :)

    ReplyDelete