Saturday, October 9, 2010

24 Hour Readathon: The Start

Yay!  Today I get started on Dewey's bi-annual Read-a-thon!  Yes, I'm off to a late start, but after a LONG work week I knew there was no way I'd be able to pull my eyes open and succeed in keeping them open if I didn't get some sleep first.  I'm here though and ready to start.  Just a few stats and thoughts before I head off to read.

1.  I rechecked the sign up sheet, and I was #40 on the original list.
2.  Last year I read for 11 hours, which doesn't sound stellar even to me, so I'm going to at least try to reach 12!
3.  Last year I read 3 books.  This year I'd like to read 4. 

See, nothing big, but I am going to push myself a little.  Now for the starting meme hosted by Dewey's Read-a-thon:

Where are you reading from today?  I'll be reading from home.  I know I'll be switching locations though, and at one point I have to run to the library, so I'll be listening to a book in the car!  :)
3 facts about me …  1)  Yesterday was my b-day and I, admittedly, planned my participation as a "day after" present to myself!  2)  I teach high school English in Utah, but my mom lives in Hawaii, where I spend my time off.  AND   3)  I'm a HUGE Kansas Jayhawk basketball fan.  In fact, I worry about annoying people during March Madness.
How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours?  Over 30.  Yep, I tried to narrow it down, but gave up.  I decided to just draw from my shelves for today, which is a combination of library books, Advanced Review Copies, books I've won, and books I've purchased and been waiting to read.
Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (i.e. number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on blogs)?  I try to keep my goals modest, as I'm sure sleep will rule out at some point, so I'm just going to try to best my last Read-a-thon goals and read 4 books and 800+ pages today!  I'm kind of excited!  :)
If you’re a veteran read-a-thoner, any advice for people doing this for the first time?  Don't get overwhelmed with how much others are reading.  Enough said.  I stay up as long as I can, but I don't kill myself off trying to stay up the entire 24 hours.  Since I want this to be a fun experience, I just put into it what I can and enjoy all the company I know I have out there who are reading with me! 
 All right.  I'm off to go grab my book and start reading.  I'm also going to simultaneously be fixing my breakfast!

Just a quick note.  I won't be posting every hour, but planned on posting every three so that I could keep on a roll with my reading.  I might be back in from time to time though for a challenge!  If you're reading today as well, then happy reading.

15 comments:

  1. Good luck with the readathon! 12 hours sounds like a lot, and 3 books in that amount of time is really good!! I can't start reading till I get home from work. ):

    Team Simile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You're fast, fast, fast! :) Thanks for the cheer there. I can't wait until you can join in the fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three books is a good goal, I think! Way to go, I'll be around again later to see how you're doing!

    *shakes her pom-poms*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Belated Birthday --- and I cannot think of a better "day after" present that the read-athon!

    Have a great time, Becky :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rah, Rah, Shish Boom Ba
    24 hours of reading is the Bomb.
    AM PM don’t dismay
    You can do it Yea, Yea, Yea!

    Just stopping by to cheer you on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Happy birthday Becky!! Hope you hav a fabulous day today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! What could be more fun than to spend the day in a readathon!

    Keep going. You've set a very doable goal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yes, and I just became a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Readathon tip #418:
    Drink lots of water! Yes, it has side effects, but that just helps with…

    Readathon tip #27:
    Go for walks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy happy reading to you. Here's hoping you can break your record from last year. We're cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. come near me, my dearie
    here is your friendly fairy
    to hug you
    cheer you
    so that you don't get jittery

    ReplyDelete
  12. Give me an R
    Give me an E
    Give me an A
    Give me a D

    What does it spell? READ!!

    Go Becky!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How are you doing? Update us all so we can see how things are. :-)

    *does a hoochie cheerleader dance*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hour 9-10

    Twist and shout your spirit knocks me out!

    Looks like you're hangin in there. Hope you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You all are so nice. My updated drama is in my newest post. No new reading. Thinking about calling it a day, but no. I'll go see if I can calm down now and read something. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete