Sunday, January 31, 2010

Review: Pride and Prejudice (The Graphic Novel)

Recently, I was sent a recommendation to the graphic version of Pride and Prejudice, adapted by Nancy Butler. Being the Austen fanatic that I've come to realize that I am, I placed it on hold at the library. There's no need to really rehash what the story is about, as it really is a graphic telling of the famous novel, but will say that the heart of this famous love story is all present and represented nicely.

I thought that this graphic version of the famous story to be quite fun reading. In fact, after taking it to school to show it to the librarians and several of my classes, I had a couple of students who wanted to take it home (which I would have considered had it been my own copy). It was a cute, fast read, and the pictures that went along with the chosen dialogue were quite well done. Other than being a little distracted by Elizabeth's lips (excessive lines made it look like she'd had a bit of botox), it was a great read. I highly recommend this graphic novel to anyone who is an Austen fan and would like to see their favorite scenes played out in graphic fashion.

Thanks to the librarians at my school, they also pulled a variety of other graphic novels and mangas for me to try out. Below are the ones they checked out to me. I'm excited to give them a try!


Admittedly, I'd rather read novels in the classic sense, minus the pictures, but I found this to be a fun departure from the norm. Am I the last to the graphic novel craze? I'm curious as to what other graphic novels or stories you might recommend?

12 comments:

  1. I just reviewed this last week.... think we had similar reactions :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this P&P graphic novel and have wondered if the story stayed intact. I have a daughter expressing interest in reading P&P but is daunted by the book itself...the language it is written in is a bit hard for her at this point. Do you think this would be a good first read of P&P?

    ReplyDelete
  3. JoAnn--Yes, I noticed your review actually! I had just picked it up and was pretty eager to give it a try, especially after seeing that you had picked it up as well. :)

    ibeeg--Actually, I do think this would make for an excellent lead into the novel. Your daughter could maybe even read them side by side. It's true to the original, so I think it would make a good aid in helping her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like an interesting way to introduce P&P to students and it also looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got this graphic novel for Christmas. I LOVE the covers and the idea, but I think it was too short for me. I plan to reread and see if I still feel that way before I review it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun way to enjoy the classics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a Jane fanatic as well. I was wondering if these did her novels any justice or was it an abomination like that dreadful zombie book! I will definitely check these out and add them to my Jane Austen collection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be curious to hear what you think about the Rapunzel's Revenge. It may go nicely with my Fairy Tale meme this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. While I agree with the point raised in prior comments (it's a good way to introduce the classics to those less inclined to read them in their original form), I still can't claim to be a fan myself. I guess I never really went for the comic books as a youngster and still don't really fancy the idea now. Cie la vie...to each his/her own! Happy reading (in any form)! =0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's a graphic novel version of Crime & Punishment? Awesomesauce!

    When I was in grade school, I read a graphic novel version of Great Expectations. I thought it was the greatest. book. Ever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I came across this book on book-ordering sites a few times and I was wondering if it was worthwhile. I'm not sure if it'll be for me though, I never read or liked comic books when I was a child. I can't help but feel curious though, it's Jane Austen after all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look fun! I've read P&P several times, and this sounds like something new for me to try.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete