Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year--2010

These videos took me forever to download from my iPhone, but I had to share New Year's Eve Day and Eve. Below is the middle of the day. We headed to the beach around 1pm to enjoy the balmy, beautiful Hawaiian day. It's hard to believe it was December 31st!



Now for the night show! Since this is my third New Year's in Hawaii, I can tell you that you have to be here to believe the kinds of fireworks and shows they put on. These aren't those shows put on by a city, but by people in the neighborhoods. Streets were blocked off, there were tents and music playing, and people walking around (if they dared). Take a look at the video. You'll note that strings of fireworks had just been lit, dangling from these poles in the background. A bunch of guys in the front have what appeared to be a 20ft. string of tied up firecrackers over their shoulders...swinging them around in excitement. There are fireworks going off in the street to the right, and in the background are about ten to twelve fire dancers spinning away! The scream you hear at the end is when one of the fireworks being shot into the air fell over and aimed right at us. Yes, that was ME screaming before the video cut out as we all started running the other way.



What a rush! Aloha, wherever you might be. On Saturday night we fly back to reality. While I love Hawaii, I feel a deep sense of appreciation for my mother. I know she lives in a great place to visit, but honestly, I'd visit her in the middle of the Arctic, if that's where she lived. In this New Year's, I am just thankful for all the family and friends (which includes many of my students!) I have that love and support me. Thank you to everyone, and Happy 2010!

6 comments:

  1. Have a Happy, Happy 2010!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, that second video reminds me of my neighborhood on the Fourth of July. ;) (Not really. Well, kinda.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all, and Happy 2010 to all of you too! I hope your home and neighborhoods stayed a little safer than this. LOL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, love the New Year's Eve video. Where were you for NYE? Most of my eve's have either been in Ewa Beach or Kalihi so I'm more than used to the makeshift bonfires in the neighborhood streets.

    Glad you enjoyed another stay here in Hawaii and hope you have an awesome 2010.

    ReplyDelete