Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Film Review: The Young Victoria...A MUST See

I think I'm a bit late to this, but had to give a huge English/history buff shout out to the period piece, The Young Victoria. Told in a very visually crafted sort of way, one that stuns and delights the senses, the movie centers on the life of a young, soon to be queen Victoria. We are brought into the young woman's world, full of its intrigue, glamour, and loneliness. While young Victoria battles her mother and uncle's desires for a Regency, wherein they can run the country until Victoria is of age, she is also pressured by political figures who vie for her approval. In this midst of this, Victoria is introduced to a young royal from Belgium (also a cousin), who understands the pressures and loneliness that Victoria has been put under. This young royal, Albert, becomes her friend and confidante, and over years, visits, and a slew of exchanged letters, they develop a sincere and honest bond.

What can I say that hasn't already been said in the press and by other fans of this film? It is beautiful, breathtaking, and one that stirs one's empathy towards those in lonely positions of power. In a period and position where marrying for love was less common than today, I found the message of shared burden and purpose to be endearing and hopeful. I heartily say go see this one before it leaves theaters! For more information on the film, see: The Young Victoria official film site. Gorgeous.

9 comments:

  1. I LOVED this movie. I went with some girlfriends but I'm taking my husband again this weekend. I can't wait to see it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could only see it at home alone and on DVD but it WAS gorgeous.It hasn't been released in Italy so far and I don't think it will. Anyway, it is a great movie that must be seen and awarded (I hope!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. So looking forward to seeing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so need to see this one. Blunt is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tricia & Maria--I KNOW!!! So good that I can't wait for my own copy.

    Angiegirl & Staci--Such a must see. I hope you both get to it and love it as much as I did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually got to see this one on a flight coming home from England last May, and I totally fell in love with it! When I got home and told friends, I didn't know it wasn't out in the U.S. yet. Very disappointing for me! Hope they all took my advice and saw it now :) Can't wait to get it on DVD!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to watch this one! It looks really great, and I have heard almost only great things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this last weekend with my aunt. So good! One of the best films I've seen in awhile!

    ReplyDelete