Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009 Reader's Challenge

I leave Hawaii today. So sad. :( I'm most sad to leave mom and the neighbor "family" we've developed here. Let me say too that New Year's Eve was anything but disappointing last night. We watched as two neighbors battled it out for the best firework's show, not to mention all the others throughout the small town who also launched shows to rival any you could imagine. If Kyle and I thought we saw a show last year, well this year topped all with ash raining down from the sky & so much smoke that it looked like the thickest fog I've ever seen. It was NUTS, and absolutely and insanely FUN! I was even forced to light some biggies because they needed more people to "light and run" as I was instructed after stating my hesitation. Talk about adrenaline rush! I'll never forget this New Year's Eve. It was spectacular, and no boxy counting down to midnight with kisses and other cheesiness. In fact, with all the lighting and running, I don't think I even knew when midnight hit...no one did! It was mass pandemonium, and I think I like it!!!

Okay, so back to book news. I've decided to join a reader's challenge for once. I never do, for fear I'll never reach the goal, but this one I think I can do. It is the Historical Fiction challenge.


Here are the objectives according to Royal Reviews

So this is how it's going to work:

  • Read 3 historical fiction books in 3 months from 1st Jan 09 - 31st March 09.
  • Historical fiction will be counted as anything set or written prior to World War II. This will include classic novels, time travel novels or anything you feel fits the genre.

For an extra bit of fun, you can choose to participate in one of the following themes:

  • The Royal Twist - Read 3 based on or inspired by 3 different royals. Emporers, Queens, Kings whatever inspires you!
  • The Twilight Twist - Read a selection of 3 of the classic novels that inspired the Twilight Saga. There's Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte or A Midsummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare.
I'm not sure what I'll actually read yet, but I'm thinking that once I get home I'll take a look. Sounds up my alley though!

So I did finish another book this morning, Roasting in Hell's Kitchen by Gordon Ramsay. If you're a foodie at all, then his name will be familiar. I actually ran across one of his "Kitchen Nighmare" shows on BBC-America and realized what an intense pride and passion in food he had as I watched him revitalize and revamp kitchens across Britain and later across America.

I noticed his autobiography on sale through my kindle for $3 and got it not long after getting the kindle, so before you think I've been really cranking these out over the past several days, I'll just say I've been reading his story for a month and a half. The business stuff was a bit boring for me, but the story of his life and his commentary on how to put together clean, perfect food was really nice. I like autobiographies, so this one was interesting. If you like people's life stories, and you are a foodie, then this autobiography will be a good choice for you.

Well, off to grade some papers and finish getting ready so that we can head to Honolulu & my big bird home. :( Back to reality soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment