Saturday, May 19, 2012

Weekend Cooking: Oatmeal Cookies

Coming up for Memorial Day weekend, my bff is coming out for a wedding, to rent out her old apartment, and to see me!  In preparation, I'm doing a little cooking and cleaning.  The thing about my friend Monica is that she LOVES homemade cooking whenever she can get it.  I could tell you stories about her bad cooking, so she begs and pleads for "down home" food whenever she is around.  I am proud to say though that she is dabbling with cooking and has figured out a few recipes for herself.

Since I can't exactly cook meals a week in advance--well, I could, but I don't want to freeze them--I'm making oatmeal cookies today.  These cookies are genius, and they freeze really well.  You can whip up a batch, throw them in a freezer bag, and pull them out for that yummy cookie fix at any time.  I know she loves her mom's oatmeal cookies and I probably can't compare, but I do have a great recipe that will fit the bill!

Back before I finished getting my degree, I had to take a couple of years off to work so I could get insurance.  It's a long story, so I won't bore you with it, but I did have to take a break from college to work.  During that time I worked in our local hospital in admitting, insurance, and PBX--front desk.  I met an amazing group of friends who I had a really great time with at that point in my life.  My friend Heather is the one I credit for these cookies.  She was an amazing cook and these oatmeal cookies prove it!  My picture of the batch I whipped up today doesn't really do them justice. 

I've made a few heart-healthy adjustments and added flax meal and things like whole wheat flour and replaced 1/2 of the butter with applesauce.  I mainly just stick with adding 2 tbsp. of flax meal to the normal recipe, and it turns out great.

Heather's Oatmeal Cookies

1 c. Shortening or Butter
2 Eggs
1 c. White Sugar
1 c. Brown Sugar
1 1/2 c. Flour
2 tsp. Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Vanilla (Use really good quality, if possible.)
3 c. Oatmeal  (Not quick cooking.)
1/4 c. Walnuts or Pecans, chopped  (optional)

Cream the shortening, sugars, eggs, & vanilla together.  Add in all the dry ingredients until incorporated.  Mix in the oatmeal at the very end.  Drop by small spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.

Now, let's hope that Monica enjoys these cookies!  How can she not?  Well, that's my weekend cooking for now.  How's that for simple, yummy, and straight-forward?  I'm pretty sure they'll be a nice hit.

*For more weekend cooking, go to Beth Fish Reads.  You'll find all sorts of great food-related posts and recipes!  

8 comments:

  1. If she doesn't want the cookies, I'll take them. LOL. They look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! And, I like that you have your own recipe! Nice of you to share it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious! My go to recipe including oatmeal also has syrup in it. Very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cookies - nice but naughty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I would enjoy those cookies! :) My grandma used to freeze chocolate chip cookies for us and my brother got so used to it he only eats cookies frozen now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oatmeal raisin have always been my favorite cookies

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love oatmeal cookies - will try some of your healthy substitutions next time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look good! I have the ingredients. I should make cookies...

    ReplyDelete