Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Social Media: A Slight Obsession


Since really getting into a variety of social medias, I think we each gravitate to those medias that allow us access to our favorite things.  Here are a few social media sites I know about or use:
  • Facebook--Friends, babies, relationships, health, and other personal info.
  • Nings--Discussion boards mixed with announcements for the Ning you're involved in.
  • Twitter--Advertising, chatting, quotes, links, and general comments on life.
  • Tumblr--The equivalent of a decorated high school locker, kicked up a million times!
  • Pinterest--Kind of more of the same as Tumblr, but all in one screening area.
Now, I haven't caught on to Pinterest quite as much as I have Tumblr, but have to say that my obsession/love affair with Tumblr is just about getting worrisome!  I love to sort through the funny posts, quotes, pictures, videos, gifs, etc. that people have posted, and then "repost" them to my own account for a bunch of other people to see.  It's like I have a high school locker to decorate all over again!  Now, my adult fan-girling over Colin Firth and anything Austen related can know no bounds.  Yes.  It even frightens me a little.

Here's the real question.  I've created this Tumblr page.  I've posted over a thousand things.  Now what?  I will admit that I've scrolled back through it a time or two, but I'm way more obsessed about the next post coming out.  I. Must. Keep. Up. What if someone finds an even more adorable interview with Colin Firth, Alan Rickman, or the Downton Abbey cast?  I must press on!

The lovely Colin & Meryl at the Oscars.
Conclusions:  I think I've analyzed my own obsession, and here's what I've come to realize about Tumblr (and I suspect this would apply to Pinterest as well).  We love these sites because they reflect the world we live in.  We feel--strangely so--comforted and understood by a series of posts that people, we may or may not know, submit.  All of a sudden, we see our world reflected back at us in all sorts of artistic, beautiful, disturbing, or funny ways.  Most of all, we find out we're not alone in our obsessive love or fan-girling over Colin Firth, looking for recipes, or even just looking for humor.  Yes, there are others like us.  They too are posting yet another picture of Colin Firth slipping Meryl Streep's shoe back on her foot at the BAFTA awards, or posting the proposal scene from Downton Abbey yet again.  We love them, and we know that others do as well.

In whatever way, we're having a beautiful cultural conversation about what we love and value in our society--and I love it! Now.  Back to Tumblr.


What are your favorite social medias and are YOU obsessed--even just a little?

*Disclosure:  This post really isn't about getting followers--I swear!  I just wanted to share my love of Tumblr and see what others had to say.  If you really do want to check out my Tumblr though, it's at:  http://oneliteraturenut.tumblr.com/  By the way, if you have a Tumblr account, please let me know!  I'd love to check it out so my obsession can continue!

7 comments:

  1. I still just don't get Tumblr! ARGH! What am I missing??? Now Pinterest! I've caught on there, but happily, I can say I am NOT obsessed and it isn't killing time in my life... yet. Twitter has taken me awhile, but I must say, I get THAT one now and often have a great chatting blast on that thing. And it's so fun to keep up on what everyone is thinking at any given moment. Facebook is boring, but it IS the place to go for real life friends and family. Ah social media, what did we DO with ourselves before it came along? I seriously wonder....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it just brings out my "creative" side & desire to be a fangirl somewhere without seeming too weird! LOL. I love Tumblr. I have to keep giving Pinterest a chance, but I think they're basically the same thing.

      Delete
  2. The only social media site I'm obsessed with is twitter. I have two tumblrs now, too! I'm not really obsessed with it, but I love the creativity on there, like Tom Hanks is a Lot of Animals. :) Pinterest is okay. Mainly I just pin stuff and don't really pay attention to what other people are pinning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I need to get your Tumblr addresses!

      Delete
    2. You haven't followed me on there yet? One of them is a new cocktail blog that hasn't gone live yet: http://liquidpersuasion.tumblr.com/ The other one is just general stuff, but like I said I'm not very active on there: http://heidenkind.tumblr.com/

      Delete
  3. I agree with Suey. I created a tumblr, but really don't get it or use it - love your locker analogy though! Pinterest intrigues me and I could see spending way too much time there, so am still avoiding it at this point. Twitter on the other hand.... Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Tumblr basically the scrolling version of Pinterest's board version? I think they're probably pretty similar, except you don't get bombarded unless you seek it? I'm not sure though. I still haven't completely caught on to Pinterest.

      Delete