Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sunday Blatherings & Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon Final Post

Happy Sunday to one and all.  Last night I finally called it a night about 1:30 am, after which I recall barely turning the light out in time to crash.  Generally, I would say I could make it a lot longer than that, but I noticed a bit of a nasty sore throat coming on that is obviously much more than annoying allergies.  Today I'm feeling a bit like someone boxed my ears (heard that one in awhile?) and made me drink battery acid.  Since no one did this to me, it must be my own body coming down with something terribly fun.

I needed to get a bit more reading done today and have about 11 essays left to grade, but I've been stretched out on the couch, sleeping off and on.  I'm actually in a bit of a panic though, because I have to feel better so I can make it to work tomorrow.  I don't have time to get sick!  My last class of students is finishing their state testing, which would cause a multitude of people to be angry with me for not being there to take care of it myself.  So, I really need to suck it up and shake this off.  Sorry.  I don't mean to whine, but that is probably the only sound I'm capable of making about now.

Well, other than the scourge that is haunting me at the moment, I have to say that the Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon was really great.  I got to a late start, but for what I accomplished, it was a really great time.   Here is my exit survey:
  1. Which hour was most daunting for you?  It would be obvious to say 1:30 am, but it was around 4pm in the afternoon. I think it was just that afternoon slump & oncoming sore throat getting me.
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?  Habibi was a pretty engaging graphic novel, that I think would make a good choice.  Although it's a graphic novel, it still came in at 672 pages.  The story was gritty and in your face, which had me flipping pages.
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?  No.  I think was all just really appreciate EVERYONE involved with it!  I can't say thank you enough to those who organized it, those who cheered us on, and those who participated.  The group, reading together, is always what makes it a great time.
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?  I do think that the posts on the main web site help to keep me up to speed with where we're at, and I feel like twitter is what holds us all together. 
  5. How many books did you read?  2
  6. What were the names of the books you read?  A World Without Heroes by Brandon Mull, and Habibi by Craig Thompson.
  7. Which book did you enjoy most?  Probably Habibi, because it really grabbed me with its intensity.
  8. Which did you enjoy least?  I actually didn't read anything that I didn't enjoy. 
  9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?  N/A
  10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?  I really enjoy these, so of course!  I might even do a mini-challenge again.  That was really fun as well, even though I got so nervous to do it.
Until next time, I hope you have a great remainder of the day.  I'm off to crash again!

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I hope you feel better! Take some Nyquil and chicken soup, tea, etc. (not all at once ;).

    ReplyDelete