Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday Salon: Lots of Books & Films

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it's actually kind of scaring me! How is it that school years zip by so quickly and yet feel as if they are killing me in a slow, excruciatingly fatiguing sort of way? It's just kind of strange is all, and interesting as I start planning for my summer. Thankfully, my mother is still in Hawaii, so I get to go back again for another glorious couple of months. Sigh. I can't wait!

As for this past week, I spent a day at home working on my taxes and getting over the opening stages of a head cold. I think they were meant to go hand in hand to torture me. I'm still not ready to head to the tax accountant, but soon.

This week I watched a number of films, including a couple Oscar winners.

I watched Precious on my day off and have to say that Gabourey Sidibe deserved every bit of accolades and praise that she received. It wasn't an easy film to watch, with its themes of poverty and abuse, but an important story of one person's struggle to get an education and rise out of poverty.


I wish I had as many wonderful things to say about The Hurt Locker. Lest I be considered anti-American in some way, and not in favor of our troops, I have to say that I 100% see that this was a shocking demonstration of the dangers and mind-playing tragedies they have to deal with every day; however, I can't say that I liked the film. It was really hard to get through, and felt very much like a real-time film about one man's experience in Iraq.


I also watched The Queen and I, which was about the widow of the exiled former Shah of Iran. After reading Persepolis, I thought this was an excellent additional human story to add to my reading. the documentary was an interesting look at Queen Farrah and her life since her exile, and her fight to continue to help Iran. The queen couldn't completely answer for the tortures played out under her husband's regime, but she could speak to her love for Iran and her desire to see a more settled form of democracy rule the country.

Thankfully, I also got in some reading this week.


I finally started Hunger Games this week, as well as Scones and Sensibility. Since I am always reading a classic at the same time, I've been reading East of Eden and should be finishing it up shortly.


I also started listening to The Masque of the Black Tulip, which is a follow up to The Secret History of the Pink Carnation.


After hearing a lot about the connection between Just the Sexiest Man Alive, by Julie James and Pride and Prejudice, you know I had to read it. Thankfully, I wasn't disappointed, and am excited to post my review hopefully this week.

One last note. While reading is my main hobby, those who know me well know that I have a bit of an obsession for college hoops. I actually avoid watching games up until March, because I wouldn't get any of my work done if I didn't! Thankfully, I'm ending a term at school, and super excited for this Selection Sunday to get my brackets ready. This week starts March Madness, and I am one happy camper! Go JAYHAWKS! I also have a couple of good friends coming into town, so it is going to be a great week. Let's just hope they don't disown me after several days of screaming at basketball on a TV screen.

What are you reading on this Sunday, and are you into March Madness? Am I alone in my college hoops madness?!?

6 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of the Queen and I but that one sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SQUEEEEEEE! *claps* I'm so glad you liked it! I can't wait to read your review. :D

    I never got into basketball. What can I say, I'm from CO-the only sport I can seriously watch is skiing.

    I'm glad you said that about teaching--I felt the same way while I was doing it. I kept wondering if there was something wrong with me. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. When does your school-year end? I always hear that it's super early compared to European standards: I have university until the 10th of July or something.

    You listed so many books that I think I want to read now. Blogging does crazy things to your TBR list, I've noticed!

    I also thought the movie about the Shah's widow sounded very interesting. I never saw Hurt Locker, I tried to watch it, but 10 minutes in I gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let the Madness begin!! I can't wait...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to see Precious. It must be just phenomenal. The clips I have seen were amazing. If I had not wanted Sandra Bullock to finally get her moment, I would have cheered for Gabby. I think The Hurt Locker would be hard to get through. I was really surprised when it won Best Picture. I thought for sure Avatar would. Though I haven't seen either. I haven't heard of Just the Sexiest Man Alive. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete