Sunday, March 3, 2013

Review: A Royal Pain by Megan Mulry

What can I say?  I'm getting my "groove" back and still wondering how long it's going to take to feel like myself again? Over the past 10 years of teaching, I've learned that when school lets out, I generally start to feel normal about the time I'm sitting at a parade on the 4th of July.  Having said that, what's it going to take to pull me out of this funk I fell into around November?!?  All I know is that I'm not judging how much sleep I seem to need or how quickly I jump into a pair of pjs at the end of the day!  Right?

One of the books that sure snatched up my attention was A Royal Pain by Megan Mulry.  Although I've been burned out, my reading hasn't suffered one bit.  This book was one of the reads that allowed me to unwind over a nice weekend.

Synopsis:  From Goodreads, "Bronte Talbott follows all of the exploits of the British royals. After all, they're the world's most preeminent dysfunctional family. And who is she to judge? Bronte's own search for love isn't going all that well, especially after her smooth-talking Texan boyfriend abruptly leaves her in the dust.

Bronte keeps a lookout for a rebound to help mend her broken heart, and when she meets Max Heyworth, she's certain he's the perfect transition man. But when she discovers he's a duke, she has to decide if she wants to stay with him for the long haul and deal with the opportunities-- and challenges-- of becoming a royal."


Review:  The synopsis for this book, nor the cover really let on to the serious twists this book delivers.  Bronte's love relationship with the Texan is over before it has begun, and the remainder of the story really centers on her relationship with the Duke--Max.  As with stories of this nature, it's easy to fall in love with Max.  He's the perfect man!  I think there's also this factor of knowing he speaks in a British accent, wants a life of his own outside of his royal ties, and is head over heels in love with Bronte that make him a real heart throb and hero to readers.  

The relationship isn't one that is cut and dried.  Did anyone think it would be?  Bronte doesn't know that Max is even a Duke until situations in the novel take a strange turn and then misunderstandings take over left, right, and center.   I loved that Bronte wasn't the type to swoon and just do whatever Max wanted because of his title.  At the same time, I found myself in knots over these two knuckle heads and just wanted them to have a real conversation!  I do think though, that these kind of misunderstandings are pretty true to life, so I hung in there to see a resolution.

I really loved this novel and couldn't put it down.  My stomach was in absolute knots by the end of the book and I wanted to cry that it was over!  What I thought was going to be a funny sort of chick lit. novel turned into a serious piece of drama and romance that had me choking back tears a time or two.  For an initial showing by Megan Mulry, I really can't wait to read her next release, which is supposed to be about Max's brother.  All I can say is that I hope Max and Bronte make a serious appearance! 

One disclaimer--this is an adult read and did have some strong sexual content.  I wouldn't recommend this for young readers or for those sensitive to adult content.  The story is super dramatic, but count yourself warned.

*FTC Disclosure:  This review was based on an advanced copy provided through Netgalley for Sourcebooks Landmark. 

4 comments:

  1. Who can resist British royals! :) I'm glad you're starting feel like you're back in the swing of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I LOVED this one! I needed a gut-wrencher with a British twist, and this did it for me. Love! :)

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this one too! It was such a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Too fun! I can't wait for the next one now.

      Delete