Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sunday Catch Up

Yet another week has come and gone, and I have been absent from my own blog for several days.  My reading slowed down, monumentally, when I started teaching my online class last week.  Thanks to the downturn in the economy, we were only given one class each, but they are crazy full!  I spent much of my week making phone calls to my students, and helping them figure out how to submit their work.  Week one is down though, so I should be getting back into a better routine now.

One cool thing that I had the chance to do this week was to be a guest post on Maria Grazia's blog, Fly High!.  She and I are both literature teachers, although she is in glorious Rome, Italy.  Maria Grazia has a love of all things Austen, and a delightful obsession with Richard Armitage (after seeing "North and South," who doesn't).  Stop on by to see the guest post, and to look around Fly High!

Finally, to end my week my BFF Doc flew in to spend her week off with us here.  Doc has been her two other times, and is like a sister to me, so it was fun to have her come over.  Yesterday we got up and drove down to Pearl Harbor (and miraculously got in, after trying several times without success), went to the Swap Meet at the Aloha Stadium (bought way too many purses), stopped at the Dole Plantation for Dole Whip (a delightful, pineapple bowl of frozen goodness), grabbed dinner in Haleiwa (famous North Shore), and then watched the sun set over Sunset Beach.  It was a really nice day, and although my feet are still sore and my face got a little too much sun, we had a great time.

As for reading, I'm still reading Catching Fire, and I'm not sure why it's taking me so long.  I'm also reading, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, the 6th in the Sookie Stackhouse series, and a few other random reads I've been picking away at. 

What have you been reading, or not reading because you're out having summer fun?  When do you fit in your reading when you're out and about enjoying the summer sun?

7 comments:

  1. What?! You told me that you were never going to Pearl Harbor again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly I'm not having summer fun just yet. It looks like you're reading very enjoyable books that fit well with the summer season. I hope your online class is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer... fun? What is this thing you speak of?

    I actually really enjoy reading outside in the warm weather, so I've gotten a fair amount of reading done lately. Just finished The Wild Irish Sea, which is a great summer read--really gives you that feeling of the cool North Atlantic spraying in your face. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as I enjoyed Catching Fire it took me a while to finish it...I kept getting distracted.
    I am indeed enjoying my summer I usually go on the roof with my camping chair and my books

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it is possible to have too many purses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Dole whip looks amazing!! I love pineapple! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gretchen --I know, I know, I know. Doc BEGGED us to try one more time. Thankfully we got in, or I'd have gone postal!

    Iris--I'm so sorry. I hope you get to enjoy a summer soon.

    Heidenkind--Aww! I hope you're getting this thing we call summer soon! I think you all are getting great weather now though, right? I'll have to check that book out. I'm seeing it all over the place.

    Emily--I finally finished Catching Fire, and I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one who struggled to get through it. The last 150 pages flew by for me, but up until then, I struggled. Oh, and you have to love the camp chairs! :)

    Bree--Amen sister! I love the purses, and it's a great knock off season. The purses at the swap meet were beautiful and actually seem like they're really great quality!

    Gaby--Oh, I know. Love the Dole Whip! :)

    ReplyDelete