Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sunday Blatherings: October Weekend

As much as I'm going to miss hot weather and long summer days, I forget how much I love October.  The cool nights and pretty fall colors are just something not to miss.  This weekend I harvested my basil and pulled up the last of my veggies that I was growing outdoors.  My tomato plant just needs to hang on if it can.  I want to harvest those last 30-40 cherry tomatoes that weighed down and broke a branch off my plant.  Hopefully, I can see a small bumper crop before it gets too cold.  Cross your fingers for me!

This weekend my mom came down to buy a new car.  Talk about stress.  I'll be in the market for a new car soon as well, but for now, I'll enjoy the car I already own.   

Work is great.  I'm weighed down with over 200 papers, book reports, and assignments, but I've learned that you have to just pick away at them and not get too overwhelmed along the way.  My AP students are going to start in on Wuthering Heights this coming week.  I get that the Bronte's are standards in literature, but I've never been a huge fan of Wuthering Heights or Jane Eyre.  That's okay though, since I have a direction I'm taking that includes comparing and contrasting it toMary Shelley's Frankenstein.  In that respect, I'm excited.  We'll see what the students think!

On my way into the library on Friday, I grabbed a couple of GREAT picks for just $.50!  Snagging a copy of Wolf Hall and Twenties Girl were a great find, so I was really excited to haul them home.  I've tried to not buy anymore books, especially after rediscovering Netgalley (for real this time), and that my library loans out epub that I can download on my iPad.  I'm loaded down to the gills with books to read, so the last thing I need is to pick up a few more, but there you have it.

I'm also finishing up Crossed by Ally Condie.  Talk about an exciting ARC!  Hopefully I get a second today to finish it (or maybe I should just make the time to finish it).

Although I haven't read as much as I usually do, I'm sure having fun trying.  Besides, with the iPad I feel like I have a million options and ways of reading anything I can get my hands on!

What about you?  What great bookish acquisition have you made this past week or weekend?

3 comments:

  1. There are a couple downsides, but overall the autumn is my favourite time of the year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... doesn't somebody have a birthday coming up as well? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like Wuthering Heights that much either--the story-within-a-story-within-a-story thing doesn't work for me--but I'm surprised you don't like Jane Eyre! Best book ever. :)

    For my English project for JE, I illustrated a picture book based on it with a poem. That was fun.

    ReplyDelete