Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Still 33...So Still "Good Things" For Me...For Now

As always, my TBG (to be graded) pile is threatening to invade downtown Salt Lake like some modern day Godzilla! What do I care at this point? I'm tired and want to go to bed tonight. (YAWN...) Maybe if I go to bed right now, I can get up early and go in to work early. Pshaw...as if. :)

Okay, well I did manage over the last week to finish Good Things by Mia King. I stumbled across her novel this summer when I did a little research on Hawaiian authors. Interestingly enough, her novel isn't even remotely flavored with the culture or aspects of Hawaii, but is set in Seattle and a small town named Jacob's Point.


I actually really enjoyed the book, as it blended cooking (recipes in the back) with the struggles of a 40 year old single woman struggling to start over after losing her job as a Martha Stewart figure of Seattle. It has it's typical adult themes (not a PG book), but they didn't feel central to the novel. For a debut novel, I think that Mia King managed to write in a style and with a voice that is really admirable. Her writing style is clean and clear, and somehow felt refreshing and light to the discerning eye. The happy ending made me happy too. Right now, along with many of us, I just wanted a happy ending. :)

I haven't yet begun Dracula, and don't even have a copy yet, but will be starting it soon. Hope to be discussing it soon! Adios...

No comments:

Post a Comment