Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Eliot? Hmm...Guess I'm Not Interested???


I don't know why, but I always thought I'd love to tackle Eliot's famous novel Middlemarch. I realize that in a way Eliot's work tends to have characters that seem to be almost inhuman in their moral fortitude, which can be nice to see in fiction, but this particular story depressed me a little. Maybe I'm alone in feeling this way, but because the story was so long, and the number of characters that showed themselves to be corrupt or weak, really started to grate on my nerves. Yes, I get it...their bad behavior and weaknesses make her look like a real angel of mercy! Should I mention that I've gotten very little sleep over the past several days because I've been up grading for end of term??? Maybe I'm a bit cranky?!? Yes, I think that might be it! :) I watched the film while I have been grading, and maybe that's the problem, but I'm not sure if I'll be revisiting this particular story, nor reading it anytime soon. Well, back to finishing my literary term quizzes for my AP classes...sigh.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I freaking LOVE Middlemarch!! Oh well... we never have really had the same taste in books, I guess. Eliot was a Victorian, after all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'm a big loser with this Gretchen! I must be losing my grip on things, as I'm expecting things to always turn out the way I want them to, in the time frame I want them to! Wow...maybe I just figured out the key to my lousy single life. :) Hey...you ought to join us on our November book. I'll be posting it Monday!

    ReplyDelete