Sunday, July 20, 2008

To Blog or Journal...That is the Question!

Well, it's after midnight, and I should be in bed asleep, but as is typical of me, I'm not! Insomnia seems to be my friend, regardless of how tired I feel. Okay, so watching Netflix on my laptop before bed doesn't help! :) I've absolutely flipped my lid over another BBC mini-series called North and South. All I have to say is Richard Armitage. What a HOTTIE!
All I have to say is "Rrrrrrr...," and if you're not sure what that means, it's a fiesty rolling of the tongue that I reserve for only the yummiest of leading men. What can I say? Period piece dramas about reserved men and women, who have to pretend they don't care for one another, living in angst and anxiety seems to capture the romantic in all of us. Stick a little of that pain and anguish in before allowing a couple to get together really floats our boat, but there you have it! :) Anyway, I'm sure my nightly "spot-watch" of various scenes from the movie before bed don't exactly let me naturally fall asleep as I should! If you haven't seen it, then I highly recommend it (that is if you have about four hours to spare, and like classic novels remade into awesome BBC films). Also, for those who have had to shake their heads over any of my other movie choices, then I can honestly tell you that no shaking of the head required with this one!

Well, it's been a strange week or two. I started a journal that is all online, that you can actually put pictures into and then publish whenever you choose to call it "finished." Since I hadn't kept a journal in a couple of years, I thought this might be a more valuable tool for me than the pen to paper, and therefore haven't logged on here in awhile! To be honest though, I've been a little down and couldn't quite put my finger on it. Sometimes I think I'm just an ungrateful little pill that can never be happy with anything she's given. Anyway, I've been doing a lot of the things that I love, but finding that I've been exhausted just about all the time. My trainer at 24 Hour Fitness thinks it's my body's way of going into shock over 2 hour workouts every day, and depriving it of the artificial stuff I was so used to. Maybe that's the case, and it will go away. Man, I sure hope so! On the health front, I'm really proud of the consistency I've had, and that I've stuck with it. I've vowed to make this part of my life, and hope I can continue to keep it up. :)

Well, I've had the chance to take some more pictures, and yes...even add some of myself (shuddering to self). Let me just be honest. It's a VACATION, so if you think Spanx, makeup, hairspray, or anything that covers up more than a swimsuit cover or shorts and a t-shirt will be seen here, well....you'll have to wait for Sunday pictures! Here's a link to the slideshow of a few, as I think showing you the entire "scenic" show might be a bore. Here it is:
I hope it works!

Let me make a quick comment on the mural though. I think this is one instance where my education gets me into trouble. You know, almost my entire masters degree was spent analyzing the rhetoric of the "colonizer" so that we could understand the harmful agendas behind a lot of what has happened to native peoples and minorities across the globe. Now, having said that, I want to also say how much I realize that the church has done for all people, and that really our only agenda comes in trying to share the gospel with others. Okay, so now that I've set that up appropriately, I have to tell you that I gasped the first time I saw that mural that I've included. Seeing native and migrant children of all ethnicities lined up around an American flag, in mid 50's "white" garb, saluting a flag made me turn white as a sheet. Okay...it came from a different era, but it was just a little sad to me. I don't know. You can think I'm a big liberal freak if you want, but after showing it to Sari this week, she also freaked out a little. Our fears over "others" is so fascinating to me, and I guess I'll spend my life horrified by the well meaning things we do to one another as human beings to try to feel more comfortable about our differences. Let's face it, I'm not a native Hawaiian, so when I'm lounging about on their beaches and beautiful landscapes, they have every right to look at me with frustration and even a bit of resentment. I'm not saying it's right for people to treat one another poorly, simply because of race, gender, or religion, but I definitely understand where it's coming from when I feel it! My track record as a white person doesn't really bode well for me, so I have learned that I have to work to show who I am as an individual to rectify what my ancestors have done. I can't just "expect it," because it's the politically correct thing to do.

Okay. Off my soapbox for tonight. :) I'm sorry that I prattle on, but I haven't prattled here in awhile and thought I'd better. Oh, but one last recommendation for a great movie that will have you tapping your toes as they sing and dance:
You'll notice that it takes place in the land I'll be living in someday. Save your pennies now, because somehow or some way I'll be figuring out how to have a little place on my own Greek island some day!

No comments:

Post a Comment