Just the other day, a student in one of my English classes said, "Why do you like reading so much?" I have to be honest. I had the pat answer, "Because reading is great. It allows your imagination to take you away to any place in the world. It's so relaxing." (He really didn't want too "academic" of an answer about higher order thinking and writing benefits, so I stuck to the pleasure quotients that I knew he was after.) Once I'd answered, I had to ask myself, is that really why? Lot's of things give you the "escape" factor, and other things teach you about others, so what is it about reading that makes me...
- Pack a book wherever I go. (Do I really need one at the grocery store?)
- Have books downloaded on my iPhone & Kindle "just in case" I need them.
- Pile them around me even when I sit to enjoy a television show.
- Fill half a suitcase with books, for fear I might want to "read this over that," when going on vacation.
- Carry a book to the gym, so that if I hit a cardio machine, I have my trusty book to help make the time pass more quickly.
- Buy more than I could ever read. Yes. Even though I have a library card, I still can't pass up buying that one book that just isn't be processed fast enough.
- Refuse to the see the movie before I read the book.
- Go to a library sale in Hawaii, filling an apple box to the brim, knowing I live an OCEAN away & will have to mail them all home!
- Have more bookshelves than I am about to have free walls (and I just moved into a new home).
- Obsessively check my library account throughout the day, just so I can check on the books I have on hold.
- Ask everyone I know, "What are you reading?"
- Keep record of every book I've read since high school.
- Not be able to drive or even clean my house without at least listening to a book on tape.
- Feel sad when someone says that they don't read, and immediately start giving them suggestions for books they might actually enjoy.
- Follow my favorite authors as if they were rock stars, making sure I know when their newest releases are coming out.
- Enjoy heading to a bookstore, just to read my own book & enjoy the ambiance.
- Think all day about the next time I'll get to sit down, uninterrupted, to just read.
So what would you say about reading? What does it make YOU do?