Thursday, October 16, 2008

Fall Break and a Good Vampire Book!

Yay! I'm on fall break...finally! :) I pushed through Monday through Wednesday, grading essays for over 15 hours over three nights. That doesn't sound like much, but can I even tell you how horrifying that is??? Sigh...they're all finished and handed back. Anyway! I slept 13 much needed hours last night, and then bummed around most of today, watching old seasons of Friends and The Office, took an hour nap around the time I would normally get off of work, finished reading a book, and even got to watch late night shows tonight. Just being able to watch Dave Letterman for once made me a VERY HAPPY girl! :) I love Dave, and can't get him on my antenna upstairs, and am too tired to ever watch him during the week. It was a real treat watching him tonight.

So I finished another teen novel. I know, when will I get back to the hard-hitting stuff that will help turn my brain into a savvy PhD candidate?!? P-A-L-ease! I'm enjoying myself for now. :) Actually, I noticed that several of my library books were coming due and wouldn't allow me to renew, so I thought I'd better tear through them. Well, the first was the novel I could have read in one sitting had I not had all those stupid essays to grade! Sunday night I started reading Melissa de la Cruz's novel Blue Bloods, which is another teen vampire novel. At first it had me a little lost as it bounced from character to character, but before I knew it, I was completely hooked and couldn't put it down. Once again, I have to say that this is yet another teen novel that I'm a little surprised is so gritty at times, but won't lie when I say I really liked the story and writing overall. In fact, I jumped onto the library site and reserved the next book in the series!


In this particular vampire series, we find that a bunch of priviledged rich kids from NYC are all part of a coven of vampires that have been around since the beginning of time. The novel starts with these diary clips from the early American settlers, and you soon figure out that they are clips from these same vampires. Come to find out, they continue to be reborn over and over again, but retain their memories from lives before. The bad things is that they don't blossom into their vampirism until they are in their teens, and must be introduced to who they are, and their blood-lust impulses. Having said that, you get really attached to some of these vampires and learn that there is a danger to them which keeps you reading to find out more. I don't want to give anything away, but I will say that it's a pretty quick read, and a good one for this time of year. :)

Well, it's after midnight, and while I'd love to say I want to stay up and kick it awhile...I really don't. My bed and a good book will be putting me sleep in about ten minutes from now, so until later...best reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment