Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sunday Blathering: Breaking Through the Fog & a Yummy Watermelon Sorbet

It's time to see if I can fit sentences together.

Why, look!  I put one.  Two.  Three.  Maybe even a paragraph together?  Voila!  Yes, I've been struggling a bit this summer.  Before, I really could blame fatigue and work for my inability to get things posted, but now I can honestly say it's a simple problem of a brain fog that I can't get to leave me be.

I mentioned that I had to go to the ER for a pretty nasty migraine several weeks ago.  Well, the doctors decided to put me on Topamax, which has put my brain into a type of fog and my extremities into pins and needles.  Listen, I think it will all fade over time--I hope?  I haven't had a migraine in two weeks though, and only the faintest of headaches.  What I wasn't aware of though, was that I've been living with constant headaches around the clock.  I had just grown used to them, and even more used to downing a couple of liver and kidney killing Ibuprofen a day.

Needless to say, I'll be quiet about my mind-numbing health issues and try to put words together!  Thanks to this medication issue, I have literally been writing a blog post for over seven days--not cool.  I'm going to try to finish it today and get it posted for Monday or Tuesday, while I'm feeling a little less foggy.

On the home front, my mother is still sitting patiently on the short sale offer.  In the meantime, we're taking exercise classes, eating really clean and healthy, and getting some good R&R.  I'm taking a couple of professional development classes dealing with technology in the classroom and then teaching an online course, so there is still a little going on outside of the general summer slowdown.  Overall though, it's all very nice.

Well, before I run off for the day, let me share a really delicious recipe we whipped up out of some watermelon we were going to have to throw out if we didn't put to use.  It's a pretty simple  Watermelon Sorbet.

You start with a simple syrup by boiling together 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, and 1/4 c. lime juice.  You then want to let it chill so you can bring it together with your watermelon puree.

Combine your simple syrup with 3 cups of watermelon puree, which we took our cubed watermelon and put through a blender and then through a fine sieve to get out the seeds.  Combine the liquids to create a beautiful liquid like this:


I combined it together in a measuring bowl that I could then use to pour it into the ice cream machine.


It then took about 30 minutes of constant spinning to get it to a nice, hard enough consistency to serve.


As you can see, it's still fairly loose.  You can then freeze it.  If you don't have an ice cream maker, just freeze the liquid in a cake pan and scape it with a fork to fluff it.


Either way, it comes out really beautiful and serves up a gorgeous color in the glass.


And the taste, is like summer in a glass!  :)  If you don't believe me, whip some up today!




If you'd like some more great ideas for recipes check out Weekend Cooking.  It is a great, weekly post run by Beth Fish Reads.  There are some really great food-related posts there.  Stop by to check out other great posts from this weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Looks so delicious! We have several ice cream makers but I have never tried making homemade sorbet - think we will try that this summer!

    I totally understand about the chronic migraines. I have a chronic illness, too. If I'm not feeling well, it is hard to marshal the brain power necessary to write!

    I hope you find an effective med that doesn't cause such serious brain fog. I know there are lots and lots of different meds out there for migraines now. I know from my own experiences that finding the right med - and the right dose - for each individual can take some trial and error...and patience and persistence! But it is worth it. Maybe try lowering the dose if the brain fog doesn't clear or ask for a different med to try. good luck!!

    And thanks for the sorbet inspiration!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    Big Book Summer Challenge

    Live with CFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I actually have the ingredients for this! I don't have an ice cream machine, though, whomp-whomp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about the meds and headaches.

    The watermelon sorbet sound so amazingly refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your sorbet looks delicious! It does look like summer in a glass, and it makes me want an ice cream maker like whoa...

    Hope your health issues settle down soon!

    ReplyDelete