Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sunday Salon: Lazy Sundays? I Wish.

Yes, it's another late Sunday Salon, as I've been doing my best to work through a to-do list that I hastily threw aside yesterday morning when I heard the news of the tsunami. Actually, my mom was the one to call with the news that she was being evacuated. Knowing what happened to Hilo back in 196o, people were rightfully concerned and wanted to be prepared. (Let's not forget that my mom has personally lived through a flood, and an island-wide blackout--that I was there for--that left us without power for 24 hours.) I had every reason to be concerned!

Obviously, the news was good, and Hawaii evaded any major catastrophe. Chile, however, will be struggling to dig out and rebuild for some time. My heart goes out to the people of Chile and I hope for their safety and speedy recovery.

Well, having spent my day waiting to make sure Hawaii was going to be all right, I'm now working through a long list of things I need to do before heading back to work tomorrow! I'm hoping to finish all the "must do's" by tonight so I can spend a little time finishing up Shannon and Dean Hale's graphic novel Calamity Jack. I've already read Rapunzel's Revenge and look forward to doing a double review of the two.


I'd also like to dive into Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella. I really like Kinsella's novels, so have had this one for some time and would love to finish it soon.


Finally, let me point out the fun way I spent my Saturday evening! Last night I had a chance to attend the Utah Book Blogger Winter Social. It was such a great time meeting other bloggers and authors there. Since we all have such a love for reading and books, it's wonderful to meet up with others who share their own experiences with blogging or books. Honestly, I couldn't list all the people I met up with there, but will point to a couple of other bloggers who will probably be posting pictures in the near future, as I saw them taking pictures and toting cameras: Natasha at Maw Books Blog, Suey at It's All About Books, and Angie at Angieville. Thanks to everyone else I met, I'd link you all up here, but there's a great list up at the Ning. You can see this pretty impressive list of bloggers in our area at: Utah Bloggers. (Thanks Natasha for providing this link!) Since I can't join in on the awesome blogger conference coming up in May, this gave me a great opportunity to meet and mingle with the people behind the words!

Now, tell me what you've wrapped up or pushed aside so that you can do some reading today?

8 comments:

  1. Last night was so much fun! With your help it was bigger and better. Loved it! I can't wait for the summer social now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous that you have a book bloggers meet up! I don't think Ohio has one. I'm glad Hawaii missed the Tsunami they were calling for

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting me know about the Utah book bloggers! I'm also a Utah book blogger! I'm also grateful that Hawaii's ok. I've been wanting to read these graphic novels by Shannon Hale. They look fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was great meeting you again. Thanks for all the work you put in!
    I actually have Calamity Jack on my TBR pile and since I loved Rapunzel's Revenge, I'm even more excited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for helping to put together such a great party for us Utah Book Bloggers. I had a wonderful time and it was nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking of you when I heard about the possible tsunami! I'm glad everyone there is safe.

    I watched North & South this weekend. That was my excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natasha--You're so nice. If it wasn't for you, I doubt we would come together. Thank you for all YOU do!

    Hmsgofita, Melissa, & Kim--It was so nice meeting you guys! Getting together like that is so great. :)

    A Buckeye Girl & Heidenkind--I think you guys should just come out and join us! Oh, and Heidenkind...North and South is the greatest of excitements!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do let us know what you think of "Twenties Girl".

    I thought the plot sounded intriguing and I've been meaning to read it for sometime now...

    Oh and I do hope you don't mind me dropping by -I followed your TBR link looking for your lists, then got sidetracked by this entry while trying to find them. Bit of ADD there, I'm afraid :lol:

    Feel free to drop by anytime yourself!

    ReplyDelete