Monday, February 25, 2013

Review: The Butterfly Effect by Andy Andrews

Review:  A friend at work one day brought me this little book and said, "Here.  You should read this."  It looked like a children's book, so I was a little confused by her recommendation, "Seriously.  It's a great message and I think you'd like it!"  How do you say no, when it looks so short anyway?  I'm glad I listened.

What feels like what must have been an inspirational speech given somewhere, Andy Andrews retells the story of a decision made on a battlefield during the Civil War that seemed minute but could have effectively have changed the course of history.  The entire book basically demonstrates the importance of each person and how one act or deed can affect others around us in a million little ways. 

Although short, this really was a simple but powerful message.  I would happily pass it along and recommend it to anyone needing a pressing reminder of the impact we can have on those around us.  In a world where we sometimes wonder if we're really doing much more than helping our own families and friends, this book demonstrates how the good we do has a ripple effect into the lives of many more.  The book takes next to no time to read, but is a great and positive message.

4 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting review! I was just thinking about what it means to be a human, and I feel like this book could give me an answer. I might go look for it at my library tomorrow! Thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great little read. It helps focus you on the value of each person, which has been made such a cheesy topic in most cases. For this book, I didn't find it cheesy at all.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yea, it's basically a motivational book that I could picture as a speech. It's still good though, so I'm glad my coworker recommended it to me. :)

      Delete