Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sunday Catch Up

Sorry for the short hiatus. As I've mentioned before, I struggle with migraines. There seems to be that initial migraine, that sometimes moves into rebound headaches that go on for days and even weeks that can drive me crazy. This lovely migraine started on Wednesday, and by Friday I was seriously ready to scream, cry, or both! Thanks to a lot of sleep and a massage, by Saturday evening I was doing 99% better. It's not quite gone yet, but at least I can function a bit more than before!

Where does reading fit in with a serious headache? It DOESN'T. This coming week I am due to join in on a group discussion and review of section one (of four) of The Brothers of Gwynedd by Edith Pargeter. I have some serious reading to do this week to catch up!


At the beginning of the week, I also started reading O, Juliet by Robin Maxwell. This had accompanied me on my 10,000 steps a day challenge, and has been a great book so far. I didn't get very far, but am enjoying this spin on the famous story of Romeo and Juliet.


Speaking of Juliet, my friend doc came down to visit on Saturday night, and by then I was ready to get out for a bit, so we went to see Letters to Juliet. The premise of the film is based around a famous wall in Verona, Italy where people leave wishes and letters to Juliet. According to the storyline, Juliet then answers these letters, wherein comes a love story that was 50 years in the making. I will be honest. We weren't expecting much, and in fact, were prepared for mass cheesiness. In the end, it was a lot better than I thought, and I really did quite enjoy it. The film did try to explain transitions, and I bought into it and was able to escape into this cute love story.


For now, I'm looking forward to getting through the next two weeks of school. Things are wrapping up quickly and I'll be off to spend some time in Hawaii with my mother. Talk about a great prize at the end of a busy school year!

Speaking of Hawaii, I am excited to see the new film Princess Kaiulani. I honestly don't know much about it, and I'm reserving my judgment until I've seen the film, but am eager to see how they have represented the story of this young princess.


I'm eager to get back to making my rounds in the blogging world, to see what everyone is up to, and to putting in some serious time reading again! Until then, what are you reading or been doing this past week?

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you've been suffering from migraines.

    As for the mentions, I've had my eye on "O, Juliet" for a while, but then forgot all about it, so I'm cruious to hear your thoughts on it when you've read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom wants to see Letters to Juliet just because the commercials use that Taylor Swift song. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iris--Thanks. It's not fun to try to put up with headaches! They make me a bit nutsy when they swoop in and take over. As for O, Juliet, it has slowed down a bit, and maybe because I already know the ending, I'm getting bored? I don't know what's up with me!

    Heidenkind--That's funny that your mom picked it because of that song. It's a really cute movie, so you'll have to go see it too!

    ReplyDelete