Sunday, September 20, 2009

Review: Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris

Thanks to an iPhone and Kindle, I had a chance throughout my move to open my phone when I was sitting in offices, or my Kindle when I was staying at my aunt's house. Through technology, I was able to grab one of these devices through some stressful moments, and escape into a book when I often couldn't find them because of boxes and suitcases! Having said that, I read book four in the Sookie Stackhouse series. Angiegirl, over at Angieville kept telling me to hang in there for book four, so I was excited to dive in!

Synopsis: After the drama of book three, Sookie was sick and tired of fighting the paranormals that kept popping up in her life, especially without a strong support system. In this installment, Sookie is back in Bon Temps, and has her brother back in her life. Bill has taken off on official vampire business (or so we think), and Sookie is thankful to be alone...yet lonely. Into this set up comes Eric, who Sookie finds walking barefoot along the road home one night. Eric had lost his memory, was jumpy, and yet trusted Sookie enough to head home with her. From there, Sookie takes charge of Eric and must learn what happened to him that caused his memory loss, and if these causes might lead to more trouble for everyone.

Review: As Angiegirl explained, I did find that I like book four more than the previous two. Because I could see where things were heading back in book two, I was furious and felt as thought I didn't even want to continue, but hearing that book four helped, kept me reading! I did like book four, and didn't mind some of the departures and loss introduced in this installment. In some ways, these "time outs" felt right for some characters, as Sookie develops a stronger relationship with vampire Eric. While I like a female lead to have strength, I really did want someone to comfort Sookie! I can't help feeling sad for all that Sookie has lost along the way, and for how often she has had to fight for her own life. Having Eric there with her for a time, felt emotionally comforting, and although it might not be a long-term answer, one that helped Sookie for a time.

Overall, I did enjoy book four more than the two previous books in the series. There for a short time I had considered not finishing the series, but now really can't do that! I have to know what happens to Sookie, and feel pretty invested in her life.

***This series contains scenes of sensuality and violence.

This completes book four of ten in the eBook Reader Challenge over at J. Kaye's Book Blog.

For more information see: Dead to the World (Southern Vampire Mysteries, Book 4) (Mass Market Paperback).

6 comments:

  1. I posted my review of this book today as well! This is my favorite book of the series so far.

    I really like your point that some of the characters needed a time out. It will be interesting to see what affect these events have on the relationship between Sookie and Eric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it! Book four is where I really, as you say, felt invested in the series and I have enjoyed it ever since. Though I remain firmly Team Eric. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you're saying I should hang in there? I have book one waiting to be finished. I'm about half way through it, and found myself reading everything I have but that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all. I'm happy to see others reading the series and agreeing with me about some of the direction that the novels have taken. If you're still reading them, why not keep giving them a try? I think they got better by book four! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy your sticking it out with the Sookie books. I too liked book 4, but love book 1 & 3 the best so far. Charlaine is publishing the Sookie short stories all in one I believe in Oct. I'll have to double check the date. It ties in the rest (throughout) the book series and helps to fill in some missing gaps. I'm excited because I have not yet read the shorts yet myself.

    ReplyDelete